Sunday, January 9, 2011

Eight days to go...

This last ten days have been a whirlwind.  Last Friday morning, well before the winter solstice sun considered emerging, I travelled to New Orleans to say adieu to dad, his special friend, Margo, and my sibs and their spouses, Carolyn and David and Larry and Dashka.  All in all a lovely weekend where I announced my plans, explained my choices, and through the narrative, was able to clarify some of my own reasons for choosing Cambodia.   Cambodia was an intriguing choice because of the history of recent genocide.  Coming from a community which experienced genocide I feel compelled to confront the trauma with eyes a removed from my own experiences.  I hope to facilitate some modicum of healing of the distrust and multi generational traumas which can be passed on and on.

We are in the midst of lists, general excitement and its reflective angst, and attempting to prepare for leaving home and then again for arriving in a situation which is new and unknown.  We are planning what to bring and what to leave, asking how many pounds of dog food  and cat food to purchase for six months, scheduling plans with our many friends who want to say their goodbyes.   Ordering prescriptions for six months, assessing the best H2O treatments, saying goodbyes, its an amazing whirlwind of emotion.

All I know is we will have ready what we have ready, that it will be exhilarating and stressful, and that it will be an unbelievable, growing, learning experience.

More as it becomes know.

No comments:

Post a Comment