Sunday, January 16, 2011

We leave tomorrow

We are leaving tomorrow and with 26 hours to go, both Rich and I are finishing up packing, rechecking lists, considering what to take and what to leave, and rearranging our packs. It feels a bit unreal to pack one backpack for six months of living in Asia.

This week illuminated some more specific information. On Thursday morning I had a conversation with Colin Mallet in Phnom Penh and his houseguest, Doreen who has been living at the Peaceful Children’s Home II in Battambang for the last two months. Speaking with them gave me perspective on some of the challenges awaiting me. The director of the Orphanage I outside of Phnom Penh died unexpectedly last week from a stroke and there will be a need for a new director there. There are also some plans for staffing changes in Battambang. It seems as if my volunteer assignment may be during a time of multiple transitions.

I also had the opportunity to become acquainted with some of the others volunteering in Asia with AJSW this spring. We seem to be from all over the United States, with quite a few from the mid-west, two from New Orleans, and a splattering from the coasts. We will actually meet together on February 13th in Chiang Mai, Thailand.

I am really excited, somewhat anxious about the extended air travel. The flight from Chicago to Inchon, Korea is 15 hours. Then there is a twelve-hour layover there before we fly to Hanoi, Vietnam for our first excursion.

No comments:

Post a Comment